CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pondering

I recently experience a little girl who was being given a gift by her grandma and she told her grandma no thanks.  Polite, right? Wrong.  She had some serious attitude and nastiness behind her response.  It was as if, she was too good for the gift.   I don't even know what is the correct way to handle this.  It was not my child (I think I would have been very PO'd had my kid done this) but do we tell our kids to graciously accept a gift even if they don't want it,  or do we tell them it is okay to say "No" and leave it at that?  Is there a right or wrong?  Obviously,  had this girl politely said no a little more graciously, then fine.  No biggy.  But I guess just seeing how she reacted made me really think about it and about what I would do had it been my own daughter's.  I could totally tell her grandmother's feelings were hurt and it just made me feel for her because she really was doing a nice gesture for her granddaughter trying to include her.  I don't know.  I was just thinking about it and what the best way to address it was if it ever happened in my future.  I mean,  I know for me, I would have been appalled had my grandchild did that and I think my mom and my own grand mother would have felt the same.   But, it seems like this day in age... manners and the consideration of feeling of others is not instilled in kids anymore.  If course, my kids are not saints in this.  They have their flaws, as do I, but I really do try to instill kindness,  empathy and respect into them because it is what is going to pay off later. You can't buy love and friendships.  They are something built by those exact things I mentioned above.

Anyhow... just my 2 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment